Caribbean 360 is reporting that Trinidadian police have confirmed a threat against the life of opposition leader Dr. Keith Rowley.
National Security Minister Brigadier Carl Alfonso has confirmed that police are investigating the threat, after denying any knowledge about such a threat Sunday in the Trinidad Express.
The author reports:
“Local media reports today quoted Alfonso as saying that Deputy Commissioner of Police Glenn Hackett yesterday morning officially informed him that lawmen had received a report that Rowley’s life was in danger, and security for the People’s National Movement (PNM) leader had been beefed up as a result.
“I don’t know the source of the report, or who reported it to him, but he is dealing with it . . . So clearly, I must be concerned,” Alfonso said, declining to say anything more because of the ongoing investigation.
Speaking at a political meeting on Sunday, Rowley said government had hired people to kill him. Senior PNM member Faris Al-Rawi further alleged that a TT$15 million (US$2.3 million) hit had been put on Rowley.”
The investigation is ongoing with Dr. Rowley speaking out on Facebook about the ordeal.
Dr. Rowley was recently accused of sexually harassing a journalist.
Read more at Caribbean 360.