“Al-Shabab — the Somalia-based group that carried out the 2013 attack at the nearby Westgate Mall in Nairobi that left 67 people dead — claimed responsibility for the carnage at the DusitD2 hotel complex, which includes bars, restaurants, offices and banks and is in a well-to-do neighborhood with many American, European and Indian expatriates.”
Kenya’s Interior Minister Fred Matiang’i said all of the buildings affected had been secured and “security forces were mopping up.”
The Associated Press is reporting 15 deaths; Al-Shabab is saying 47 people are dead from the attack.
CNN‘s Eliza Mackintosh and Farai Sevenzo are reporting at least 11 people are dead. The journalists report:
“CNN journalists near the hotel complex in Nairobi that was attacked Tuesday are still hearing intermittent gunfire from the location, hours after the government gave the all-clear.
The source called the death toll “conservative” and expected it to rise: “I saw six dead on the footpath exit over the river and five more at the secret garden cafe.” A US State Department official said an American was killed in the attack, and provided no other details. CNN is reaching out to officials from other nations to see whether any of their citizens are among the victims.”
Gunmen stormed the DusitD2 hotel shooting guests while explosions went off on nearby streets. The coordinated assault began with a suicide bomber in the lobby of the hotel followed by gunmen brandishing guns and wearing paramilitary clothing “mowing down guests.”